Battle Memorial Hall (formerly Langton Hall), began in the 16th century as a 2-storey half-timbered building. Another storey was added during the 1700s and a new front was built in the 18th century. The Hall was extended and the shop fronts with interlacing gothic glazing bars added in the 20th century.
The Memorial Hall, known then as Langton House was a meeting place for some of the more unfortunate members of the Battle Community in the past. Between 1718-1724 it was a poor house & it is believed to have reverted to this use again in 1805.
In 1902, the building was divided into two – Number 80 High Street, Ticehurst House with number 81 retaining the Langton family name.
In 1958 the site was sold to the Trustees of Battle Memorial Hall who had been working towards the development of a community building for Battle since 1945. It was named Battle Memorial Hall in honour of those who gave their lives for their country.
The halls became popular venues for clubs, meeting, performances & celebrations.
A timeline for Battle Memorial Hall:
- 1569 Built
- 1718 Becomes a poor house
- 1730 Hammond family
- 1805 Becomes a poor house again
- 1829 Owned by School master William Ticehurst
- 1855 A solicitor is practising from this address
- 1862 The building is being used as a ladies’ boarding house
- 1902 House divided into No’s 80 & 81
- 1936 RP Rowe buys the building sets up and antique shop
- 1938 No 80 – a hairdresser is working from the address
- 1960 No 81 Becomes Battle Memorial Hall
- 1972 No 80 Lloyds Bank